Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Chanel SS2012: Classic Meets Boring?

Okay, I know it's almost considered blasphemy to doubt Chanel and it's creative director Karl Lagerfeld's artistic direction but I couldn't help but feel the SS2012 collection shown in Paris today was so classic it was borderline boring. Don't get me wrong, I worship the recognisable classic cut of Coco's signature suits as much as the next girl but this collection's repetitive monochrome tweed just felt a little deja vu. The looser fit brought a decimal of modernity but I'm not so sure this worked to the collection's advantage.

Below are my best picks from the collection. The first, quite simply because it reminds me of an elegant tennis outfit from the 1930s. The second is an example of why they pay Lagerfeld the big bucks, beautifully mixing on-trend blush nude tones with the classic Chanel tweed, resulting in a stunningly put together look that screams WEAR ME SOMEWHERE FABULOUS! The third is just my favourite in terms of wearability, an investment piece for the average gal who doesn't work at Vogue (The price tag, I'm sure, is not so average).

All in all, the collection left me wondering whether I should leave my Chanel wishlist to vintage pieces, on-trend for their time, rather than this newest collection which quite simply demonstrates a disappotinting modern re-hash of classic Chanel.


No comments:

Post a Comment